The UNMC Center for Continuing Education will resume limited in-person classes beginning Wednesday, July 1. Registration for upcoming classes will open June 15.
Following UNMC guidelines, all students, instructors, and staff will be asked to:
- Self-screen prior to coming in, ideally using the 1-Check COVID mobile app that can evaluate risk and give advice as to what to do based on risk
- Socially distance and wear a face covering (cloth or surgical) while on campus. Students are required to bring own face covering in order to be admitted to class
- Ensure strict, effective and frequent hand hygiene
If you had previously registered for an in-person class, we will contact you via email to provide you with a class schedule to choose from.
If you need to reach us, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BLS is a nationally recognized program designed by the American Heart Association (AHA) for health care professionals to:
- Recognize different life-threatening emergencies;
- Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR);
- Use an automated external defibrillator (AED); and
- Relieve choking in a safe, timely, and effective manner.
The BLS Provider course is intended for certified and non-certified, licensed or nonlicensed healthcare professionals such as physicians, nurses, paramedics, emergency medical technicians, respiratory therapists, physical and occupational therapists, physician’s assistants, residents or fellows, medical or nursing students in training, aides, medical or nursing assistants, police officers, and other allied health personnel.
The material will be covered in small group lectures, demonstrations, evaluation of case-based scenarios, and practice.
AHA BLS Provider Manual
Prior to the course:
You are expected to review the AHA BLS Provider Manual.
- If you are renting or purchasing the manual, please come and pick it up from the EMS/Trauma Office located in the UNMC Annex 14 Building on 4460 Farnam Street, Omaha, NE (brown building next to Bank of the West). Take the elevator to 2R. Pick up available Monday through Friday from 8am to 2pm. If you live and work outside of the Omaha Metro, please email email@example.com to make arrangements to get your manual. Or, if you prefer, you can purchase an e-manual from https://ebooks.heart.org/
- IMPORTANT: You may rent or purchase the manual PRIOR to the day of the course. No manual rental will be allowed on the day of the course. Participants who come to the course without the manual will be required to purchase one.
You must show a valid government- or school-issued photo ID to check-in to class.
The temperature in the classroom may vary throughout the day. Please come in loose and comfortable layers of clothing.
You will be practicing skills that will require you to work on your hands and knees. You will be bending, standing, and lifting throughout the course. If you have any physical condition that will prevent you from engaging in these activities, please do not hesitate to inform the instructor(s) as he/she may be able to adjust the equipment to address your needs.
Inclement Weather: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for possible class cancellation due to the weather.