December 9-12, 2017
This course is designed for the clinician who utilizes echocardiography in their practice in the perioperative and critical care arena for cardiac and interventional procedures. The course will focus on common clinical dilemmas where echocardiography can play a role in diagnosis and treatment. Case-based presentations, practice guidelines, hands-on workshops, and small-group discussions will be utilized to review two-dimensional transesophageal and transthoracic echocardiography, spectral and color Doppler, and 3D echocardiography techniques. The heart team model for new interventional procedures including transcatheter valves will be discussed and implementation of such a model explained in a multidisciplinary approach.
This course is intended for anesthesiologists, cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, critical care physicians, emergency medicine physicians, hospitalists, and sonographers who utilize echocardiography in their practice in the perioperative and critical care arena.
At the conclusion of the activity, the participant should be able to:
- Identify the echocardiographic assessment of right and left ventricular function
- Describe up-to-date clinical applications of transesophageal and transthoracic echocardiography
- Recognize the appropriate criteria for echocardiography use in the critically ill patient
- Explain mitral valve anatomy and pathology diagnosed using advanced echo techniques including 3D echocardiography
- Summarize the utilization of echocardiography in cardiac interventions, such as transcatheter aortic valve replacements and similar techniques
- Explore the utilization of rescue echocardiography in hemodynamic instability
- Identify the use of echocardiography in weaning and assessment of mechanical devices
- Demonstrate hands-on focused ultrasound assessments
Continuing Education Credit
The University of Nebraska Medical Center, Center for Continuing Education is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Nebraska Medical Center, Center for Continuing Education designates this live activity for a maximum of 17.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Echocardiography 2017: A Multidisciplinary Approach to Cardiac and Structural Disease is offered in cooperation with the American Society of Echocardiography.
This course is sponsored by the UNMC Department of Anesthesiology, Nebraska Medicine - Cardiovascular Clinical Program, and e-Echocardiography.com in conjunction with the UNMC Center for Continuing Education.
For More Information
Contact Brenda Ram, CMP, CHCP via email or call 402-559-9250.