Director of Hospital Preparedness
University of Nebraska Medical Center
College of Public Health
Barbara has been with the Center for Preparedness Education since shortly after its inception 11 years ago.
As hospital Preparedness coordinator, Barbara works closely with Nebraska hospitals to assist them in preparedness planning and education. She designs curriculum specific hospital needs, trains instructors and coordinates mass trainings.
For the past ten years Barbara served on the National HICS Advisory Group which updated the Hospital Incident Command System to better serve the needs of US hospitals. She now serves as National Faculty with the HICS Center Advisory Board. Barbara facilitated a group of Nebraska Critical Access hospitals in customizing the new HICS Job Actions Sheets to better fit the needs of small hospitals. She continues to stay on the cutting edge of hospital disaster preparedness.
In her previous position at Nebraska Health and Human Services, Barbara was the State Emergency Medical Services Training & Education Coordinator for 10 years. Her primary responsibilities included curriculum development and implementation for ambulance providers. She also trained EMS Instructors. Her background in EMS has proved very beneficial as she assists hospitals, EMS, and other agencies to work together in planning for and responding to disasters.
- 1993, UNL, Education
- 2004, Emergency Management Institute, MD, Master Trainer Program
- Disaster preparedness for hospitals
- Curriculum development and educational ethics.
- Working with hospitals across the state and helping them with their preparedness needs. I especially enjoy working with the small and rural hospitals.
- Public Speaking
- Geriatric Emergency Medicine, contributing author.
- Degradation of Pediatric Skill in EMS
- Public Health Association of Nebraska
- Hospital Incident Command Advisory Council
Biosecurity, Biopreparedness, & Emerging Infectious Diseases
- CBBEID Staff
- Center for Preparedness Education Staff
- Center for Collaboration on Research Design and Analysis
- Center for Environmental Health & Toxicology
- Center for Global Health and Development
- Center for Health Policy
Center for Health Policy Analysis and Rural Health Research
- Central States Center for Agricultural Safety and Health (CS-CASH)
- Center for Reducing Health Disparities
- Rural Health Education Network
- The Great Plains Public Health Training Center
984320 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE, 68198-4320