The Biosafety Level 3 facility is a restricted access area and is currently used as a BSL-3 containment for trained personnel working with HIV-1 and West Nile Virus.
To gain access to this facility, one must meet the following requirements:
- Have direct approval from the Chair of the Department of Pharmacology & Experimental Neuroscience
- Review and successfully passed the biosafety examination, Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) General Biosafety-web UNMC and BSL-3 Cotainment-web UNMC.
- Once approved, BSL-3 worker’s ID card is programmed into the security system by personnel in the Security Department.
- Entering DRC 8021 anteroom will require the use of swipe card, further proceeding to BSL-3 corridor using proximity card with combination of last four digits of social security number.
- Entrance to any of the available working suite will require proximity card.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is a must and including:
- Double gloves
- Coverall suit
- Shoe covers (optional)
- N-95 mask (if working in electrophysiology suite or with West Nile Virus)
Centers and Program Projects
- Core Facilities