DNP Application Steps
DNP applicants are required to complete an online application and to provide supplemental materials in support of the application for program admission. The online application is completed through the Centralized Application Service for Nursing Programs (NursingCAS) and the supplemental materials will be completed by the applicant and sent directly to UNMC CON. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all required documents are received by the published deadlines. Applications and supplemental materials received by the published deadlines will be given full consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Upon receipt of the completed application to our college, all application and supplemental materials become the property of UNMC CON.
Please carefully read the instructions below before beginning your online application. You will need to reference a number of documents as you complete the application, including providing a credit card number for payment. To apply please complete the following steps:
The online application will be completed and processed through NursingCAS, including the receipt and verification of all official transcripts.
You will be asked to enter an extensive amount of information including all college coursework as well as detailed employment and other related information. We suggest that you start and complete your application as early as possible. To assist you in completing your application, you will find it helpful to have copies of your college transcripts listing all undergraduate and graduate coursework taken, your resume/vitae, and the names and contact information of references including their email addresses.
You will be able to monitor the progress of your application through your account on the NursingCAS website. We encourage you to check your application often and to follow up as necessary to assure that all items are received by the January 15 deadline. Additionally, you will have access to NursingCAS customer service support for questions related to your application. Please contact NursingCAS with your questions by phone at 617-612-2880, Monday-Friday 9 am - 5pm Eastern Standard Time or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The fee to apply to the DNP program is charged by and paid to NursingCAS. You will need to have a credit card for payment. Please see the NursingCAS website for fee details. UNMC CON does not charge an additional application fee.
- References— Only electronic references will be accepted. Please select the electronic option on the NursingCAS application form. You must be able to supply accurate email addresses for all three recommenders. They will receive and return the reference form electronically to NursingCAS.
- Personal Statement— Please construct a Personal Statement that responds to the below questions and then upload/attach it to your application. Your Personal Statement should answer the following three questions. Each question response should be approximately 500 words.
- Tell us about your professional experience as a nurse. What have been the challenges and rewards of your career thus far?
- Nursing now has two routes to doctoral preparation -- PhD and DNP. How would you describe the differences between these two degrees and the differences in career paths they prepare one for? Describe your rational for selecting the DNP and explain how you feel the DNP will enhance your practice.
- In your opinion, what impact will the DNP have on the delivery and scope of health care in the United States?
- Resume/Vitae — please attach your current resume/vitae to your NursingCAS application.
- E-mail — be sure to provide an e-mail address and make sure your e-mail account is set so it receives all emails from both NursingCAS and from UNMC. Check your e-mail frequently during the application period as that will be the primary form of communication with applicants.
The Supplemental UNMC CON Application is online and instructions will be sent to you by e-mail within five working days after you have completed and submitted the NursingCAS application. You will be asked to enter your Social Security number and share demographic information not covered on your NursingCAS application.
Both the NursingCAS and Supplemental UNMC application must be completed and received by January 15 for full consideration.
Evaluation and Selection Process
Upon review, the most highly qualified applicants from the overall pool will be invited for a personal and/or phone interview by faculty. Final selections will be made based on a match of career goals with program resources.
Applicants who are offered and accept admission to the UNMC CON DNP program are admitted pending final submission of items that will be requested. Such items will include: proof of current health immunizations as outlined on UNMC Student Services site, a clear background check, proof of a current unencumbered RN license, a copy of a current BLS certification, and completion of UNMC required compliance trainings. The offer of admission will be withdrawn for students who do not comply with all enrollment criteria by the required deadline.
DNP Admission Timeline
- Online application deadline is January 15. This includes receipt by NursingCAS of all transcripts and letters of reference.
- Supplemental materials deadline: Received no later than January 15 by UNMC CON.
- Electronic acceptance for admission notification letters sent: 6-8 weeks following the application deadline
- Mandatory on-campus orientation in Omaha: May – dates to be determined.
- Classes start: May for MSN to DNP and August for BSN to DNP.
For DNP program information please contact a student services coordinator.
Application link — Apply Now!
- The online application along with directions for completion can be found at: NursingCAS.
- Virtual Info Session
Doctoral Programs in Nursing - DNP or PhD?
Why UNMC for your DNP?
DNP Program Overview
DNP - Admission Information
DNP - Admission Steps
BSN to DNP Plans of Study
MSN to DNP Plan of Study
DNP Pre-requisites and Co-requisites
DNP - Course Descriptions
- Advanced web-based learning
FAQ - DNP
- Tuition/Financial Aid