FAQs Windows 7
As with any new software release, customers who choose early implementation may encounter unexpected problems with limited support available from ITS. The hospital does not plan to install Windows 7 or MS Office 2010 on their workstations at this time.
Frequently Asked Questions
UNMC Information Technology Services has compiled a list of frequently asked questions pertaining to Windows 7 on the UNMC Campus. If you are unable to locate an answer to your questions in this document please contact ITS Helpdesk at 9-7700.
Q. What is Windows 7?
Windows 7 is Microsoft’s latest Operating System.
Q. What are the hardware requirements to run Windows 7?
1 Gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.
1 Gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.
Q. Is there a fee to upgrade my computer to Windows 7?
Provided you have sufficient hardware to run Windows 7 there is no fee required for Windows 7. The fee for upgrade is included in our Software Site License with Microsoft.
Q. What are some new features in Windows 7?
There are many new features in Windows 7, especially if you’re upgrading from Windows XP, as most users on campus will be doing. Here is a list of a few of the new features.
- In Most cases, Windows 7 will perform tasks much quicker than Vista and in some cases even faster than XP. If you’re already running Vista, most likely you will not need a hardware upgrade.
- More intelligent searching, when you conduct a search from the start button windows now searches not only the hard drive but tasks in the control panel and provides more options after a search has been run.
- Bit locker to-go now provides users with an easy way to encrypt jump and flash drives easily. Jump/flash drives are often lost so this helps ensure the data is protected and it is actually part of our campus policy that all external drives be encrypted. (note- If data is encrypted in this manner the user is responsible for the data and decryption of the data. In other words if you forget your encryption key or password we will be unable to assist you.)
- Windows 7 has enhanced file security that will assist in providing protection against Malware \Spyware.
- Windows 7 provides enhanced stability and extended support for future applications.
- In most cases quicker start, reboot and shut down times.
Q. I am currently using Windows XP. Will I be mandated to upgrade to Windows 7?
We are reaching the end-of-life cycle for Windows XP. Microsoft will begin to phase out support for Windows XP in 2012. After the roll out phase begins you will receive direction from your WSG ITS Support Specialist. If you have any questions please contact your WSG ITS Support Specialist via the Help Desk 9-7700.
For questions, please contact the UNMC ITS Helpdesk at 402-559-7700 or email@example.com.
Blackboard Help & FAQ
- How do I...
Frequently Called Numbers
One Chart for iPads
Prices & Fees
- Remote Access
Submit A Problem Online