Current work in the Norgren Lab is focused on nonhuman primate genomics and genetics. The Norgren Lab and collaborators are working on the following projects:
- Rhesus macaque genome. In cooperation with several collaborators, a new greatly improved rhesus genome assembly and annotation has been produced. Illumina sequencing of both genomic DNA and mRNA has been performed. Assembly and annotation files can be found here. This work was funded by the NIH.
Zimin, A. V., Cornish, A. S., Maudhoo, M.D., Gibbs, R. M. Zhang, X., Pandey, S., Meehan, D. T.,Wipfler, K., Bosinger, S. E., Johnson, Z. P., Tharp, G. K., Marcais, G., Roberts, M., Ferguson, B., Fox, H., Treangen, T., Salzberg, S. L., Yorke, J. A. and Norgren, R. B. (2014) A new rhesus macaque assembly and annotation for next-generation sequencing analyses. Biology Direct, 9:20.
- Marmoset genome. Illumina sequencing of both genomic DNA and mRNA has been performed. Links to sequences can be found here. Funding for this work was recently awarded by the Nebraska Research Initiative.
Maudhoo, M. D., Ren, D., Gradnigo, J. S. Gibbs, R. M., Lubker, A. C., Moriyama, E. N., French, J. A. and Norgren, R. B. (2014) De novo assembly of the common marmoset transcriptome from NextGen mRNA sequences. GigaScience, 3:14.
- Chimpanzee genome. In preparation for a new chimpanzee assembly and annotation, Illumina sequencing of both genomic DNA and mRNA from "Clint", the reference chimpanzee, has been performed. Links to sequences can be found here.
See this site for more information (UN-NHPGC)
Robert B. Norgren, Ph.D. - Principal Investigator
Mnirnal Maudhoo - Bioinformatics Technician
Jake Madison -Bioinformatics Technician
Dan Meehan - Technologist
Norgren Lab in the News
- The Other Primates. Genome Technology, November 2012.
- Novel approach results in first ever rhesus macaque whole-genome array. Affymetrix Scientist Spotlight, May 2010.
- Boom Time for Monkey Research, Science, April 13, 2007.
- Monkey 'Gene Chip' Aids Medical Research. AP/FoxNews, November 29, 2005.
Norgren Lab Equipment
|Ion Torrent Personal Genomics Machine: This is a Next Generation nucleotide sequencing machine. It will be used for both genomic DNA sequencing as well as mRNA-seq.||Bioinformatics server for the Norgren Lab: Dell PowerEdge R900; Four Quad Six L7455Xeon, 2.13GHz, 64 GB|
|Biomek 2000: This Liquid Handling Robot has been used extensively for high-throughput PCR.|
Centers & Core Facilities
Bioinformatics and Systems Biology Core
- DNA Sequencing
- Electron Microscopy
Experimental Irradiation Facility
Mouse Genome Engineering Core
- Starting a Project
- Bioinformatics and Systems Biology Core
Advanced Anatomy Laboratory
- Research Labs