Friday January 10, 2014 (Pre-registration closes Wednesday January 8, 2014 )
Location: Mary Riempa Ross Theater, Lincoln
Speaker: Dr. Van Haywood, D.D.S.
Credits: 6 CE hrs.
$185.00 Dental Professionals ($160 if also attending What’s New)
$105.00 Dental Auxiliary ($85 if also attending What’s New)
(2 additional auxiliaries at $55 after 1 DDS & 1 Auxiliary register from same office)
Lunch is not included.
DENT130021 Dental Professionals
DENT130022 Dental Auxiliary
Dr. Van B. Haywood is Professor in the Department of Oral Rehabilitation, College of Dental Medicine, Georgia Regents University. In 1989, he co-authored the first publication in the world on Nightguard vital bleaching (at-home bleaching) with Dr. Harald Heymann, and in 1997 co-authored the first article on extended treatment (six-months) of tetracycline-stained teeth using this technique. He has completed further research and over 145 publications on the NGVB technique and the topic of bleaching and esthetics, including first papers on treating bleaching sensitivity with potassium nitrate, direct thermoplastic tray fabrication, bleaching primary teeth, and caries control with bleaching materials. He has lectured in over 30 countries and 30 states. His book titled “Tooth Whitening: Indications and Outcomes of Nightguard Vital Bleaching”, was published by Quintessence International in 2007 and is available online at www.quintpub.com , through “iBooks” or on his personal website www.vanhaywood.com.
Tooth Bleaching: Bridging the past to future trends 2014
Tray bleaching for the past 25 years and in-office bleaching for 125 years have given us solid traditional information and developed future trends for new treatment options. A pre-bleaching examination and diagnosis is important to avoid pitfalls and poor outcomes for all types of bleaching. Understanding the application of different products is essential to guide patient for their maximum whitening benefit. Learn the latest evidence-based data on bleaching as we explore tray, in-office, and OTC bleaching techniques, and discuss current knowledge as that relates to children and older adults. Treatment for discolorations such as brown and white spots, as well as nicotine stains and tetracycline-stained teeth will be discussed.
Objectives: The participant will learn…
- Bleaching examination components, plus hydrogen and carbamide peroxide differences
- Differences between tray, in-office and OTC products and techniques
- Treatment options for brown & white discolorations, plus nicotine stains
- Treatment of tetracycline-stained teeth and long-term safety
- Indications for different bleaching techniques and research support for each
Dental Materials to Facilitate Bleaching: Single Tooth bleaching, bonding, Tray Fabrication, Sensitivity and Caries Control
In addition to understanding the techniques and indications for bleaching teeth overall, there are specific bleaching needs to be addressed. These topics include bonding composite restorations to the lighter teeth, appropriate tray fabrication for a single dark tooth and internal bleaching of endodontically-treated teeth. Also “Boil and form” tray fabrication for children, treatment of bleaching sensitivity and the new use of bleaching materials for caries control in elderly and orthodontic patients will be demonstrated.
Objectives: The participant will learn…
- Bonding tips and shades for bleached teeth
- Bleaching options for single dark teeth with internal and external stains
- Treatment for tooth sensitivity using bleaching trays and potassium nitrate
- Various tray fabrication techniques and indications - intraoral and laboratory
Method of teaching: Lecture/discussion
Continuing Education Courses
Save the Date Calendar
Golf and Learn
- Resin Adhesion to Tooth Structure & Caries Management
Updates in Oral Surgery, Local Anesthesia, and Sedation
- Risk Factors for Periodontal Disease: An Update on Inflammation
- Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office: Hands on w/ Sim Man
2014 Weeth Lecture
What's New 2014
Coronal Polishing 2014
- Save the Date Calendar
- College of Dentistry Alumni
Nebraska Practice Opportunities