Peter J. Giannini, D.D.S., M.S.
UNMC College of Dentistry
40th and Holdrege
Lincoln, NE 68583-0740
Telephone: (402) 472-4160
Fax: (402) 472-2551
- B.S. (Biology), University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- D.D.S., University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry, San Francisco, CA
- M.S. (Oral Biology), The Ohio State University College of Dentistry, Columbus, OH
- Certificate, Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, The Ohio State University College of Dentistry, Columbus, OH
- Course Director, Integrated General and Oral Pathology for the Dental Hygienist (OB 366)
- Course Instructor, A Review of Biomedical/Dental Sciences (OB 471)
- Course Instructor, Clinical Oral Pathology (OB 491)
- Course Director, General Pathology I (OB 539)
- Course Instructor, Oral Pathology (OB 566)
- Course Instructor, A Review of Biomedical Sciences (OB 571)
- Course Instructor, Student Scientific Program (OB 620)
- Course Instructor, Oral Medicine (OB 648)
- Course Instructor, Clinical Oral Pathology (OB 691)
- Course Director, Advanced Oral Pathology (OBIO 895)
- Course Instructor, Oral Health and Dentistry for the Older Adult (ARD 644)
- Oral carcinogenesis and cytoprotective enzymes
- Oral manifestations of drug abuse
- Management of oral mucosal disease
- George, M.D., Owen, C.M., Reinhardt, A.L., Giannini, P.J., Marx, D.B., and Reinhardt, R.A. “Effect of Simvastatin Injections on Temporomandibular Joint Inflammation in Growing Rats.” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Available online February 20, 2013.
- Untrauer, J.B., Giannini, P.J., Talmon, G.A., and Johansson, S.L. “Malignant PEComa Involving the Mandible: Report of a Unique Case.” Accepted for publication in Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, and Oral RadiologyMarch 16, 2012.
- Gonzalez, S.M., Spalding, P.M., Payne, J.B., and Giannini, P.J. “A Dentigerous Cyst Associated with Bilaterally Impacted Mandibular Canines in a Girl: A Case Report.” Journal of Medical Case Reports5:230, 2011.
- Giannini, P.J. and Shetty, K.V. “Diagnosis and Management of Oral Candidiasis.” Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America44 (2011) 231-40.
- Rutledge, J., Schieber, M.D., Chamberlain, J.M., Byarlay, M., Killeen, A.C., Giannini, P.J., Marx, D.B., and Reinhardt, R.A. “Simvastatin Application to Augment Facial Jaw Bone in a Dog Model: Pilot Study.” Journal of Periodontology82(4):597-605, April, 2011.
- Fung, E.Y.K. and Giannini, P.J. Implications of drug dependence on dental patient management. General Dentistry236-241, May/June 2010.
- Narayana, N., Gifford, R., Giannini, P.J., and Casey, J.H. Oral histoplasmosis: An unusual presentation: A case report. Head Neck31(2):274-7, February, 2009.
- Morris, M.S., Lavin, M.T., Giannini, P.J., Schmid, M.J., Marx, D.B., and Reinhardt, R.A. Injectable simvastatin in periodontal defects and alveolar ridges in dogs. J Periodontology79(8):1465-73, August 2008.
- Giannini, P.J., Gross, H.B., Strong, B.M., and Litchmore, L.A. Differential diagnosis of periapical radiolucencies and case presentation. Inside Dentistry4(7):38-44, July/August 2008.
- Giannini, P.J., Morse, M.A., Weghorst, C.M., Pei, P. and Mallery, S.R. Functional activities and immunohistochemical cellular distribution of glutathione S-transferases in normal, dysplastic, and squamous cell carcinoma human oral tissues. Clinical Medicine:Oncology2:159-68, 2008.
- Gross, H.B., Giannini, P.J., Lantzy, L.A., Gordon, S.C. and Reid, W.D. Oral pathology quiz #17: Incidental red and white lesion. J of the Michigan Dental Association88(6):34, 52-3, June 2006.
- Shetty, K.V., Giannini, P.J. and Springstead, M.C. What the dental hygienist should know about prion disease. Contemporary Oral Hygiene6(3):29-33, March 2006.
- Shetty, K.V., Giannini, P.J. and Achong, R. Chronic craniofacial dematiaceous fungal infection: A case report. Special Care Dentistry26(4):155-58, 2006.
- Giannini, P.J., Shetty, K.V., Horan, S.L., Reid, W.D. and Litchmore, L.A. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the buccal vestibule: A case report and review of the literature. Oral Oncology42(10):1029-1032, 2006.
- Shetty, K.V., Vastardis, S. and Giannini, P.J. Management of an unusually large adenomatoid odontogenic tumor. Oral Oncology EXTRA41(10);316-18, November 2005.
- Shetty, K.V., Giannini, P.J., and Achong, R. Kaposi's sarcoma of lymph node leading to a diagnosis of HIV. Oral Oncology EXTRA41(9); 234-37, October 2005.
- Devlin, H. and Giannini, P.J. Financing student education in the future. British Dental Journal199; 561-63, January 2005.
- Mohammad, A.R. and Giannini, P.J. Oral candidiasis: Current concepts in the diagnosis and management in the institutionalized elderly patient. A review. Dental Forum33(2):65-70, 2005.
- Shetty, K.V., Giannini, P.J. and Leigh, J. E. A hybrid giant cell granuloma and fibro-osseous lesion of the mandible. Oral Oncology EXTRA40(7) 81-84, August 2004.
- Mohammad, A.R., Giannini, P.J., Preshaw, P.M. and Alliger, H. Clinical and microbiological efficacy of chlorine dioxide (CIO2) in the management of chronic atrophic candidiasis. International Dental Journal54(3) 154-58, June 2004.
- Bassiouny, M.A., Giannini, P.J. and Deem, L.P. Permanent incisors traumatized through predecessors: Sequelae and possible management. J of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry 27(3) 223-28, 2003.
- Alonzo, T.A. and Giannini, P.J. “Assessing Accuracy of Oral Health Diagnostic Tests.” In Statistical and Methodological Aspects of Oral Health Research, Lesaffre E, Feine J, Leroux B, Declerck D (eds.), pp. 205-218. Hoboken, NJ, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., 2009.
- Giannini, .PJ., Narayana, N., Casey, J.H., and Henriksen, B.J. “Metastatic Adenocarcinoma of the Breast Presenting as a Periapical Abscess.” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, and Oral Radiology 114(4):e98, October, 2012. Presented at the 16th International Congress on Oral Pathology and Medicine and 20thBrazilian Congress on Oral Pathology and Medicine Meeting in Sao Pedro, SP, Brazil, August, 2012.
- Giannini, P.J. and Mack, E.L. “Adenocarcinoma of the Lung Initially Presenting as a Gingival Metastasis.” Presented at the American Academy of Oral Medicine Meeting in Charleston, South Carolina, April, 2012.
- Giannini, P.J. and Glenn, A.R. “Clear Cell Odontogenic Carcinoma of the Mandible.” Presented at the American Academy of Oral Medicine Meeting in Carolina, Puerto Rico, April, 2011.
- Giannini, P.J., Haralson, D.J., and Johansson, S.L. “Osteosarcoma of the Maxilla Secondary to Radiation Treatment.” Presented at the American Academy of Oral Medicine Meeting in Santa Ana Pueblo, New Mexico, April, 2010.>
- Miller, A.R., Walke,r A., Fung, E., and Giannini, P.J. “The Influence of Substance Abuse on Oral Health.” Presented at the International Association of Dental Research Meeting in Miami Beach, Florida, April, 2009.
- Giannini, P.J., Shetty, K.V., Narayana, N. and Zysset, M.K. "Spontaneous necrosis of a pleomorphic adenoma of the palate: An unusual case." 19th Congress of the International Association for Disability and Oral Health Meeting in Santos, Brazil, October 2008.
- Chamberlain, J.M., Schieber, M.D., Byarlay, M.R., Giannini, P.J. Killeen, A.C., Marx, D.B. and Reinhardt, R.A. "Effects of simvastatin on guided bone regeneration." International Association of Dental Research Meeting, Toronto, Ontario, July 2008.
- Giannini, P.J., Shetty K.V., Narayana, N., Blaha, D.A. and Greiner, T.C. "Plasmablastic lymphoma of the oral cavity in an HIV-negative patient: An unusual case report." American Academy of Oral Medicine Meeting in Scottsdale, Arizona, April 2008.
- Shetty, K.V. and Giannini, P.J."Saliva as a diagnostic tool." Greater New York Dental Meeting, New York, New York, November 2007.
- Narayana, N., Giannini, P.J. and Casey, J.H. "Atypical oral lesion in a patient on Infliximab: A case report." American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology Meeting, Kansas City, Missouri, May 2007.
- University Dental Associates
- Biopsy Service
- Department of Adult Restorative Dentistry
Department of Dental Hygiene
- Department of Growth & Development
- Department of Oral Biology
- Department of Surgical Specialties